Thursday, November 6, 2014

Done. Boom Baby!


 Today has finally come! Ryan completed his last round of radiation this afternoon and took his last chemo pills tonight at dinner.  Thursday, November 6th marks the end of a 28 days journey of treatment (that spanned over 38 days, including weekends). I was super tempted to throw him a massive "treatment is over party", but as a blessing from heaven, I came to the realization that the party would look like lovely friends and family, high-fiving, cheering, hugging... and Ryan would look like... a man that has just had his 28th day of treatment.  His heart would be bursting with love for all those who have helped us along the way, but his head would be fighting with his body to stay awake, with his stomach to avoid nausea, with his bowels to avoid the loo, and with his kind-well intentioned - bad idea wife for losing her mind and throwing him a party.  SOooo, instead we had a family party (Ryan, me and our kids). He showed us his nifty radiation certificate, we toasted him and drank Martenellis.  The festivities lasted about 5 minutes long, which was the perfect party for my favorite cancer patient. Well done, Ryan.  You are a champion, a rad dad, a smoking hot husband, a brilliant professor, and a lover of smoothies.  I'm so glad that stage one of "Kill Cancer" is over!



RYan and certificate.



A family shot. Look at all those balloons!



I wish I had known that they would do something fancy at his last visit; he got a standing ovation and this certificate.  I would have taken some pics!


It's official when a sign is made.



Simon was in his classroom talent show today.



He sang "Redstone Active" which is a mind craft version of the song "Radioactive." It was wonderful.


1 comment:

  1. It is so hard to believe that Ryan has fought this battle cause he looks so stinking good. I love closing chapters to parts of life that are insanely difficult, WAY TO GO RYAN! I wish I was there to give a hug to all my Smith family!

    ReplyDelete