Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Kilted Pig

There is a little restaurant about a two minute's walk from Ryan's work called the Kilted Pig.  Like must eating establishments here, it is also a pub.  But unlike bars in the US, Edinburgh doesn't allow smoking indoors, which is just lovely.  Whilst Preston was at Buroughmuir Secondary School, Calvin, Simon, and Annie at Craiglockhart Primary, and Owen at Tyncastle Nursury, my husband and I went out to lunch.  This is something I could get used to everyday.

If I were to start up a restaurant in Edinburgh, I would also name it the Kilted Pig.

The waiter asked me what I wanted to drink.  I asked what kind of juice they had.  He then listed Coke products, and then I asked about fruit juices.  He asked if I wanted an appetizer, and then I gave up.  About a minute later he returned with an "Appletiser," which is like Martinelli's... only even better!

Today we took the plunge and tried haggis balls, which was haggis rolled in oats and then deep fried, served with a mango chutney.  Tasted just like fried eggrolls.  I also had stovies with sausage, which is comfort food at it's most comforting, potatoes and ham kind of scrambled.  Excellent.  The other dish was ham and lentil soup, and it was good.  I wish they sold t-shirts with a pig wearing a kilt.  I would buy one.


I was in the middle of putting clean laundry away, when I caught my husband and son praying at the same time but not together.  Yes, Owen is wearing a home-made juice box jet pack.


4 comments:

  1. Home made juice box jacket?! How cool is Owen!! Kilted Dog, kilted kitten, kilted Rhino... I think any animal with a kilt would definitely be one impressive animal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting dishes! I hope you eventually try every unusual food in Scotland and report to us.

    There is something very touching about the last photo. Owen standing, head very bowed, so small compared to his dad, the fact that even with a jetpack, prayer is still necessary, the homey atmosphere of laundry, and even the wild splashy print bedding. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pride in me wanted to hurry and remove the laundry for the picture, but I knew that I would probably ruin Owen's concentration if I did that. I love my boys!

      Delete
  3. I wish we could come back while you're there. We've tried to house swap with some Edinburgh fly fishers I met at the International Fly Fishing Museum downtown here...ah, someday. Our fun meal there was at Monster Mash. We asked our cab driver where he would go out for Scottish comfort food and he took us there (talking all the way while we understood about every third word). YAY. I still make tatties and neeps for my kids cuz our local grocer always has turnips and parsnips, inexplicably. I am adding you to my favorites so I can more closely follow this adventure. SO FUN.

    ReplyDelete