Saturday, December 1, 2012

St. Andrew's Day

November 30th is St. Andrew's Day in Scotland.  He is the patron Saint here and that somehow means that today is also Scotland's National Day.  Owen wore plaid to pre-school, and tonight our congregation had a traditional dance called a cèilidh.  Now I wouldn't say I am an excellent dancer, but my friends do tell me that I am light on my feet, have excellent rhythm, and know my way around any dance floor. 

The Holm family. Notice his kilt.  He also bought her a corsage, it's on her right lapel. The dress code ranged from kilts and fancy to jeans and t-shirts.

Simon and me dancing.  I am wearing the kilt that my friend Amy Hunter gave me just before we arrived in Scotland. I felt very festive for St. Andrew's Day.


Simon and Annie participating in a dance. 


They had laser lights at the cèilidh. That's how you know it was awesome. 


The band, playing Gaelic folk music.  They were fantastic.  I think I would like to go to a cèilidh every Friday night, forever.


**** Our internet wasn't working last night (vexing), so this post reflects Friday, November 30th, 2012****

1 comment:

  1. I so want to go to one of the those! We missed our highland games this year and the kids were so sad, I think mostly because they didn't get to rock out with the bands!

    ReplyDelete