Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Stop

Let's talk traffic, shall we?  I found it very difficult and totally frightening learning to drive on the other side of the road.  If you screw up while driving, someone could die.  It didn't help knowing that for various irritating circumstances, we were unable to get car insurance for the first three or so weeks that we were here. But I am learning to love the traffic here. On the downside, buses seem to be everywhere, many roads are two way but only have room for 1.5 cars, so the potential for a wreck seems great, lots of construction right now in downtown Edinburgh, often making our GPS useless. But, there are also some very big pros to the traveling in the Scotland.  Except for the buses, most of the cars are small and don't block visibility.  The speed limit almost everywhere is 30 miles, which means a lot less rushing around; no one seems to be speeding. I also prefer the UK traffic lights themselves.  When stopped at a red light, the signal will add a yellow light, right before it turns green to let you go,  (just the reverse of when the signal goes red.) It's like a heads up that you will be able to hit your gas in a second, so finish that text you were working on (just kidding, no one should ever text while driving, for real.) Additionally, when you hit the button at the pedestrian crossing, a light comes on that says "WAIT". We all want to be answered when we ask questions. Q: "Can I cross yet?" A: "Wait" which means "I'm working on it.  I value your time and I know that you are waiting for the little green man to appear.  It will happen.  I have received your request and you will be able to cross shortly because I know you are here." It's brilliant.

Isn't it lovely.

When you see this man, you can cross most streets in any direction, even diagonally so that you don't have to wait twice at one intersection.  Doesn't he look jolly?

This is their "Men at Work" sign.  I love that he is digging. 


I think this is my favorite sign of all.  I've seen it in a few places.  It's this random FYI: Just so everyone knows, this is is a hot spot for old people that walk with canes... this is that place.

1 comment: