Sunday, November 25, 2012

Gobble, Gobble!


Just finished our Thanksgiving dinner celebration.  26 people in all; 10 missionaries, 1 Chinese tutor and boyfriend, 1 lovely downstairs neighbor, family of 6, and 7 Smiths.  The food was fine, the company was great, and the day was chaotic.  Due to the random array of guests, I prepared the entire Thanksgiving feast (with the help of my sous chef Ryan.) The small fridge was an obsticle, making it unpractical to prepare any of the dishes in advance.  To complicate matters, throw in a 10:30 to 1:30pm church time.  I sprinted home after services to get crackin on the food, which included: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans with bacon, homemade rolls, raspberry honey butter, cranberry orange relish with hot cocoa and pumpkin cake squares for dessert. The works.  

The real kicker for the day came, though, 17 minutes before the start of church, when I remembered that I WAS TEACHING RELIEF SOCIETY TODAY (the women's church meeting), and that in this ward, Relief Society is at the beginning of church.  AHHHHHHH!  The lesson was on a talk from General Conference but I couldn't remember which one (typical) so I sprinted to the church, ever so casually asked the Bishop, and was able to bum an Ensign off of one of the missionaries, because my computer was having trouble with the wifi at the building (what the what!) Lucky for me, and the entire group, I had already read the talk so I was somewhat familiar with it's contents. All in all, I can honestly say it was one of the best lesson's I have ever given (go figure... a total blessing)   It's been a wacky day, full of exciting drama, danger, potential failure and humiliation, success, miracles, and delicious food.  My kind of day.  

No turkey leftovers.  Enough for the night, but no leftovers... so very sad.

3 comments:

  1. I want the recipe for the cranberry orange relish, seriously. I of course you were able to teachon such short notice, you have been preparing everyday that you read you scriptures. Ans since it was a conference talk even better since you have committed to reading ALL of them. This little story just reaffirms how truly awesome you are. A diner for 25+ people and a lesson, phewww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day! Way to pull it off. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete