Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Key Master

One of the defining attributes of our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a.k.a the Mormons, is the willing service of time and talents it's members donate that helps the church run.  Almost every adult member of the church, and many teenage youth, have a responsibility in the church.  Even more awesome is that your particular job, a.k.a calling, is made by assignment from the Bishop rather than volunteering. This is especially great because it means that the work you do in your church job is something that actually needs to be done, might fall in line with something that you know how to do (a chance to mentor others) might be something that you have no idea how to do (a chance to learn and develop a new skill)  or might have little to do with the assignment, and much to do with the people that Heavenly Father wants you to associate with on a more personal level for a while.  In my callings over the years I have had the chance to decorate the building for holidays, organize large service projects, lead music, give gospel lessons to the Relief Society (the women's organization), teach teenagers, play with toddlers, and now... I am the Key Master.  Basically, we live right across the street from the church.  So.... if people need to get in and the people that are supposed to be there to open up the building are running late, or have lost their keys, or forgot them... yeah, I take care of that.  Well I'll take care of that in January, because that's when my calling becomes official. Plenty of time for me to get ready... to prepare and what not.  Good stuff.


This is what popped into my mind as my assignment was being given to me.  Raise your hands if you recognize the movie!



4 comments:

  1. Well, I guess it where Heavenly Father needs you right now. I have a feeling you might end up with a double calling though, I didn't want to say it but-waste of talent! And, is it Honey, I Shrunk the Kids? Love that movie! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who're you going to call....Smith Family

    Ghostbusters would be the movie.

    I do agree that a double calling will be in your future. You have too much talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Key master it is, love it. What a fun calling to add to your resume of life. I was the transportation coordinator for the old ladies once, I drove a jeep that had holes in the floorboards so that you could see the road as we drove, nice ride for 90 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously thought you were kidding when I saw the preview on Facebook. Guess not ;)

    ReplyDelete