Friday, November 16, 2012

Children in Need Day

Today is the UK's National fundraiser for children in need. According to the BBC: "BBC Children in Need gives grants to organisations in the UK working with children who have mental, physical or sensory disabilities; behavioural or psychological disorders; are living in poverty or situations of deprivation; or suffering through distress, abuse or neglect." It was all over the radio, there were tons of items at the stores with the mascot, Pudsey.  In a show of support for the event, many children wore spots today to match the spots on Pudsey's eyepatch.  Last year this fundraiser brought in about £42,000,000 ($67,200,000 USD)!  That's a lot of needy children that will get help. 

  Owen's pre-school had "wear spots day."  We made this shirt with markers. We saw several kids and adults that were wearing spots today as well.

A card we got for making a donation at Costco, with Ryan as the hand model.

I love the bear with the spotted eye patch.  It just seems so pathetic, dramatic and needy.  In talking with Ryan about Pudsey, I said "who really wears an eye patch?!" He said "You did." And it's true.  I wore an eye patch in 2nd grade for having a "lazy eye."  I was so horrified by the thing that I told everyone at school that I had been in a fire and that my eye was healing.  My 7-year old self thought it better a fire than to be officially declared "lazy" by a doctor... still makes me sad to think about.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't get poked in the eye, that would been some what explainable, no it was a FIRE, so much more dramatic!!!

    ReplyDelete