Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ikea in Edinburgh

I was on the hunt looking for supplies for Annie's 7th birthday party. There is no arts and craft supplies store, or a pound/dollar store that I can find, so I figured Ikea has to have something. So after enrolling Owen in his new preschool (which he starts on Nov. 13th, why the wait? I have no idea) we headed over to Ikea for lunch.  I did find some gingerbread houses, which I think will be perfect for her party.  I also found some bowls, napkins, paper, markers, etc.  The highlight of the visit was at checkout, where the clerk said something entirely indistinguishable, in a thick, genuine Scottish accent, he kindly repeated it thrice, until I finally had to say "could you please speak very slowly, like I'm simple." That did the trick. He was just letting me know where to return my cart.


This is what they put in a kids meal at Ikea in Scotland: juice, fruit, dessert, crisps (chips), chips (fries), peas and fish.  What the heck! And Owen ate maybe 1/6 of his meal.

It was called an Organic mushroom pancake.  What it turned out to be was a crepe spread with a thick layer of cream of mushroom soup. Gross. The side salad was totally fantastic with a tangy brown mustard dressing.

This drying rack looks so playful and cute, like the itsy bitsy spider, it makes you almost forget that when your clothes are dry they will be crunchy.


These are some of the flavors the crisps come in: Worcester sauce, Cheese and Onion, Prawn Cocktail (revolting) and BBQ Rib.  The kids have totally consumed the salt and vinegar and the regular sea salt bags. But I will not buy anymore, until these have all been eaten.

1 comment:

  1. They get chips and fries?! Throw in tater tots to make it complete!

    ReplyDelete