Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday in Amsterdam

No baskets this year.  Celebrating in a different country just made it somewhat difficult to coordinate, so in stead of eggs and silly putty (which I love) the kids opened up some random figurines I got at the Delft factory yesterday.  We headed into Amsterdam to catch church, and then made our way to the Van Gogh Museum, and then to the Anne Frank Museum.  Apparently, Easter Sunday is the busiest museum day of the year, and both museums had crazy long lines, and several hour waits, with regular winter closing hours.  Basically the perfect combination of being so close to getting in, and yet so far.  Instead of enjoying museum tours, we wandered along the streets of Amsterdam, enjoying the sunshine and hot cocoa.

What we did today isn't nearly as important as what is celebrated today.  Easter Sunday changed everything. Because of his life, ministry, Atonement, and death, we can all live again.  Too many thoughts of gratitude are swimming around in my head, making it difficult to share my testimony of how this single individual was able to change the world.  So I will cheat and quote a favorite hymn we sang in church today; I Believe in Christ;

I believe in Christ; he is my King!
With all my heart to him I'll sing;
I'll raise my voice in praise and joy,
In grand amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ; he is God's Son.
On earth to dwell his soul did come.
He healed the sick; the dead he raised.
Good works were his; his name be praised.



Happy Easter figurines.  Owen: Turtle, Annie: little jewelry case, Simon: Chicken, Calvin: wise owl, Preston: Bird in flight, Ryan: Ornament, he loves Christmas ornaments.



Proof that we were outside an LDS meeting house.  Did we go in?



Yes, we did!  We are wearing headphones receiving the English version of the Dutch service we attended.  It was wonderful.



The giant steeple outside the church had a crane's nest on top.  Cranes in Holland love LDS steeples.



Lunch at the hotdog stand. Chilli cheese dog with saurkraut, gherkins, and tortilla chips.  Good stuff.


The closest we got to Van Gogh's original works, 30 feet from the entrance.  What a ripper.



Hot Cocoa and whipped cream, take 11 since we've arrived in the Netherlands.



WWII Monument at Dam Square. Romantic.



Nothing says Easter dinner like a Chinese buffett. Fah-rah-rah-rah.





1 comment:

  1. 11 hot cocos, those lucky dogs or as you like to say lucky ducks! Oh yeah, and visiting another country is cool too :)

    Written by Lesley, Bella approved.

    ReplyDelete