Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Green, Eggs, and Ham

Today was part 1 of cooking for real people at a fancy lunch party.  The class has been sectioned into groups.  Each group is responsible for (a) cooking the main dish and dessert on one day and (b) appetizers and nibbles to go with tea/coffee on another day.  On appetizer day, we also get to set the table, greet the guests, serve the meal, and clean-up.  This adventure is spread out over 2 weeks, depending on what days your group gets assigned.  I feel like such a lucky duck that my group got to do our appetizers today.  Just to mix it up a bit, I was somehow assigned to meet and greet and ask the guests what their beverage of choice was (red wine, white wine, or elderflower water.)  I had never opened a bottle of wine.  I had never poured a glass of wine.  Until today. Apparently, it should only be filled half way up the glass. I wonder how much my heavy hand in pouring cost the school today :)  Group B (as we are romantically labeled) will do the main/dessert tomorrow.  Both cooking days are part of our final grade, and my group is totally rad, so I think it will be fantastic.



Green, Eggs and Ham.  Toasted baguette, spinach puree, bacon and fried quail egg (which is tiny and adorable).  



Tom and I assembling the quail egg canape.  We both hate wearing our hats.
I forgot to get a picture with the other 2 on our team, Mini and Emma.



OUr petit fours.  Brownie with orange creme pat. Orange macaroon with chocolate ganache, and an orange filled with orange gelatin.  Insanely awesome and tasty.  



Cheese Choux. Tasty? Yes.


Cornet Tuiles, filled with creme, salmon and a little bit of heaven.


Parent teacher conference tonight at Preston's school.  It's about 3/4 mile away and parking is always a nightmare, so I decided to use Calvin's scooter as my method of transportation.  I have never used a scooter for more that 20 feet. Long distance, at least at my age, was not a good idea.  About 100 feet in, I was certainly cruising, but my thighs were on fire. Want to know if you are in shape? Try riding a scooter.  You'll know about 1 minute into the ride if you're not.  Heading uphill was labor intensive; on the downhills I thought that the speed was going to kill me.  I also enjoyed lugging a scooter around to visit with his teachers.  This experience makes me want to never let my kids ride on a scooter ever again.  How easy would it have been for me to break my wrist or ankle, or crack my head open during a fall?!  What a mom thing to think, but seriously... FYI: Preston's teachers all love and adore him and everything he does is art. 



My absolute favorite poster at the school.  It literally was the first sign I saw upon entering the building, and I'm not even particularly observant.  If Preston ever forgets that he is not in Utah anymore, this sign will bring him back to reality. Good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment