Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Nap

Today started with a jog, rushing kids out of the door for picture day (trying to locate good enough shirts in the totally washed but not sorted/put away pile), dropping by the school about 15 minutes later to get the school picture envelope to the absentminded child that left it at home, and then I... took a nap.  I seriously just crawled back into bed and slumbered for a couple of hours.  Who does that? Is that even allowed?  I felt so very lazy, and practical, and rebellious all at the same time.  Here is my defense for all of you who would judge me on a mid-morning nap (fyi, these reasons might be lame. I'm a work in progress: 1) I've been getting to bed late, too late.  It seems that all of my kids have a million and one things to do the second they walk in the door, and by the time they are all snuggled into bed, it's late. Probably much later than they should be in bed, and then I still want some unwind/read a book time. 2) Single parenting womps.  I know that many, many of you have done it for  longer stretches, with younger kids, and have worked out some brilliant system that makes life even easier and more routine when you are flying solo.  In fact, many people have expressed to me that with only one adult in the house, it's actually more simple to accomplish tasks because it's one less schedule to consult.  I get the logic, but it hasn't worked out that way for me.  I miss the other two adult hands that can help with homework, tucking in, dishes, discipline, driving, etc.  3) I just wasn't ready to face the day and tackle my list of to-do's that seems to morph into a bigger list the next day.  So, I napped.  I'm a napper. I napped it up and it was lovely.



Owen after school at the park with some pals.  I love the park, and so does Owen.



It started raining this afternoon during Annie's soccer practice. Luckily the coach live right across the street from the park, and was prepared. She gave a short lesson on sportsmanship on the field, taught the girl's that good players "do-nut" push, and all those who agreed to be nice on the field got a donut.  Of course, everyone agreed.  What a coach!



Calvin doing homework.  I love to see my kids trying their best in school! Go Calvin!

1 comment:

  1. Napping whenever I could is how I survive being a quasi-single mom. I figure I'm on call 24 hours a day and I never know what kind of a night I'll be in for. So I make sure I take every opportunity to sleep. (Every opportunity besides actually going to bed right after the kids do - I hear ya on the need to unwind)

    ReplyDelete