Monday, October 28, 2013

Public Service Announcement to Home Depot

Dear Home Depot,

Today I went to your store to purchase some pine boards to repair a banister that vexes me.  I walked down the wood aisle, found the "pine" section, and located the wood that was very clearly labelled:
1"x 4" x 8'.  The wood sticker on the wood was labelled as such, and so was the nice little sign right in front of said boards.  I purchased.  I stuffed into my minivan. I drove home. Owen helped unload the wood.  I put the board against the banister... only to discover that the board was 1/2 an inch shy of what was needed.  How did this happen? We measured the banister!  I found the pine boards! Two independent labels declared that the wood fit my specifications!  Then the fine print, on the tiny little bar code (about two inches below the Bolded, larger typeface of the 1" x 4" x 8') it read 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 8.  Are you kidding me?  4 inches is not the same as 3 1/2.  Why go to the hassle of mislabeling the size of your wood? I firmly believe that Home Depot's motto should actually be "Home Depot: Do it Yourself, Do it Twice."  Before today, however, this motto was actually in reference to how most DIY jobs are done wrong the first time, requiring attempt #2.  Today my home depot motto took on new meaning.  By intentionally mis-labeling products, doing it twice gets to start that much sooner... oh, and by the way, don't try to give me the "Wood shrinks down from when it's cut, and dries out and shrinks during shipping so the labels that the logging company put on there aren't accurate," as explained by your store employee today. Home Depot makes the tags in front of the boards. Home Depot places the UPS stickers on the merchandise they sell. And Home Depot also sells tape measures.  Please use them from now on, and don't lie (as in mislabel) your products.  I was going to pay you $4 today for my purchases, but actually only gave you $3.5 instead. The money probably just shrank when I handed it over...

You Stink,
Lindsey Joy Smith



FHE: Carving Pumpkins.  Messy and fun.



Jade loved the carving, but not the scooping of the insides.  Preston's turned into Micky Mouse (Because his first idea was an epic fail.) Annie carved about 6 pumpkins tonights, including the little decoration pumpkins that I have along the front walkway ledges.


Happy Family!

1 comment:

  1. Owen just needed to be shirtless to get this task done! :)

    ReplyDelete