Friday, October 18, 2013

Hiking the "B"

In an attempt to promote some quality outdoor family togetherness, I gave the kids three options: Mueller Park Canyon, the park or hiking the "B." Actually, I didn't suggest hiking the "B" and wasn't even a fan of the experience, but all the kiddos seemed to be sold on the idea, so we gave it a whirl.  Here's the deal. The "B" is really steep, as in if you fall backward you will brake something.  As proof of it's steepness (and possibly proof of my bad parenting) Annie lost her shoe near the top and it fell down about 50 feet. It just kept falling and falling.  It made me sick to think of one of my children falling like that shoe. Or worse yet, me falling like that shoe, and then Preston seizing the opportunity to drive me to the hospital (at the ripe age of 14. He would love that!) You know you're in the middle of a bad idea when you start contemplating dire scenarios. The last time we went, the hike up the "B" was made moderately safer by a rope that could be held onto. No such luck this time. Long story short, we hiked it and no one was injured. Short story shorter: I don't ever want to do that again.


The white line at the top of the hill is part of the Bountiful "B."



Us at the top, about to crack into a picnic lunch. 



Simon holding Annie's found shoe.  Yes, it's a jelly shoe.  She went hiking in jellies.



After our hike, all of the kids got haircuts.  Ryan gets home tomorrow and the kids will now look spiffy for their dad.



Annie and Simon busted out their creativity and made these fantastic Halloween decorations.  What a great way to pass the time.  I'm especially fond of the witch. It's about three feet tall.

1 comment:

  1. I love their crafts!! How did they do it? The B hike is rough, I was surprised how steep that bad boy was, glad no injuries!

    ReplyDelete