Saturday, September 14, 2013

To Turtle or Not

My dear children really want a pet.  I think having a family pet is also a great idea in theory, but in real life, some things need to be considered. Dogs are hard because they need to be walked regularly, can make your house smell funny, and make it difficult to leave town (kennels are pricey and we have no family in town desperate to dog sit.) Cats are sometimes mean, and can turn on you, or don't want to be bothered (unlike dogs.) Hamsters are just tooo close to mice/rats... I have no idea how my mom ever let us have them growing up.  Fish are easy to care for, but you don't get to hold them, or cuddle them.  FInally, there is the turtle. Hard shell.  Easy and cheap to feed.  We even have a name picked out for our potential pet " Tatiana Rose Simon James Alexander Ragfield III Hanna Montana Superstar Ninja Turtle." But turtles don't cuddle, can be easily forgotten, and have the potential of causing salmonella. All I want is a pet that is easy to care for, lovable, cheap, loyal, doesn't make messes, and knows a few tricks. I want my kids to do all of that stuff too. Is that too much to ask? I think not.


When I was about 5 we had a dessert tortoise that was named Haggis.  How funny to think that 30 years later I would live in Scotland and would eat haggis!  It didn't taste much like dessert tortoise.

1 comment:

  1. Try a bunny! And if you still want a turtle you can have ours. Try it out for the winter and if you don't like it we'll throw it back in our pond in the spring. Boom!

    ReplyDelete