Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nighttime Song

I remember when Calvin was around 5 years old and Ryan and I were putting him to bed.  We said prayers with him, tucked him in, and then started to sing a well known children's hymn, I Am A Child of God.  Our kids all know this song by heart, and they generally love it.  On this particular night, however, Calvin wanted to hear a "real song." "What do you want us to sing?" we asked. Eye of the Tiger. So... Ryan and I launched into "Risin up, back on the street, did my time took my chances..." We sounded ridiculous, Calvin loved it, and he went straight to sleep.

I still sing my kids a song almost every time I put them to bed.  It's usually a children's hymn like "Teach me to Walk in the Light," "As I Have Loved You" or the ever popular "I Am A Child of God"... but sometimes, like tonight, the words get stuck in my throat. My voice starts to crack, and I am met with irony.  As I sing a lullaby about God's love for this little person, I know that I failed several times today to show that love.  I lacked patience, humor, tenderness, and charity.  I could have been a worse Mom today, but I also could have been so much better. It's nights like these when I listen to Andy Grammer's "Keep Your Head Up"...  only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again...


Owen played his first game of the season.  Attendance for his team was low so the boys ended up playing the entire hour.  To say they lost would be an understatement, but they are all too young to really care about the score, and they got an after after game treat, so what evs.



Annie Joy had a game today as well.  She did great, and even got a stab at being goalie.  No goals scored under her watch!



1 comment:

  1. I always sing my kids "I know my father lives" because it was the shortest song I could think of when they started asking for "one mo song." I love that it ends with "And tells me that I can." It's like a little bit of hope at the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete