Friday, January 4, 2013

My Costume!

Today I finally purchased my costume, or my uniform from Henley's.  It. Was. Thrilling.  I tried on several shoes and chef's jackets, and picked up my knives and case. I discovered that "chefs trousers" are really just a fancy way of saying "really unattractive pants, patterned after the 80's style of high waist, roomy thigh and tapered ankle"... they are totally hideous! It is impossible to wrap my mind around the idea that in 3 short days I will be getting an award winning culinary education at the Edinburgh New Town Cookery School, dressed up all fancy like a chef...I haven't been to school in 12 years. I am worried that I won't remember all that I want to or that I will be stinky compared to the other students. I know that I will miss my daily sidekick, Owen, and I fear that after the investment of time, energy, and money I will return to the states and struggle to find my place in the culinary world, but I am also just so very excited... so forward with faith!


My costume consists of: a black skull cap, a white chefs jacket (complete with this cool pocket for a pen and thermometer) checked chefs pants (navy blue and white) and safety kitchen shoes (black, ugly and very safe looking.) Ta-da!


In the dressing room, discovering that the pants really do look how they look.


My church calling as Key Master has me organizing the cleaning/maintenance/and scheduling of the building.  Today we did a family service project and cleaned out the crazy messy cleaning closet.  All of the kids helped pull all the supplies out.  Then Calvin, Simon, Annie and Owen went to the gym to "sweep." 


Preston remained the entire time to help put it all back, disassemble a broken cabinet and bin it, and reach all of the shelves that were too high for me.  What a guy!


Our ward building has this table set out for Christmas cards.  Apparently people rarely mail their Christmas cards to each other.  Instead, they hand them out at church, or just place them on this table.  Each stack is a different family.  I think it is a cosy, lovely little Edinburgh tradition.

3 comments:

  1. good on you for doing the school. who cares what you learn, how much you spend and whatnot!! you.did.it!!!! i think it's the most fabulous thing ever girl. you inspire me!!!! love your ward. love the awesome card traditions. what an amazing life experience your family gets to enjoy. i am so jealous!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look terrific "wearing" your dream!!! Preston what a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete