Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Flan-Tastic!

Let's just say that fish and I are now o'"fish"ially friends.  Today I made a Creamy Fish Flan With Burnt Hollandaise.  The crust was like a sandy beach, the filling was perfectly seasoned with large, happy chunks of halibut, and the hollandaise sauce was rich and lightly toasted (which was a miracle because I am too short to actually see anything under the broiler.) My souffle needs some work (my first attempt looked like a first attempt), but the fish swam easily into my mouth.  What we make in the morning typically becomes our lunch.  There seems to be quite a bit of leftovers, so I brown bag it (we are actually instructed to bring tupperware with us everyday.)  Ryan is finally home from D.C. (yeah!) and so he and Preston got to sample the leftovers, with Preston exclaiming "Mom, this is really good.  No, I mean it.  It is really good." Calvin liked it very much...except for the fish. You can't win em all!

I literally have no time to take pics while in the kitchen, but I wanted to show a picture proving that I am actually telling the truth about going to cookery school.


This is the demo room.  I was sitting in that empty chair but popped up to take this picture.  The kitchen is beautiful and perfectly equipped.


My locker is #21, the age I was when I had Preston.


These were made at the demo today.  They are french meringues with raspberry cream and blue berries.
I make mine tomorrow in the morning.


Yesterday's Trout Fillet with Lime Beurre Blanc.


Today's Fish Flan with Burnt Hollandaise Sauce.  Notice that lovely chunk of fish in that cut out slice.  

3 comments:

  1. So yummy! I love that your apron has your name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really care for fish but to hear you tell it it actually looks really good, especially the meringues!

    ReplyDelete