Monday, December 17, 2012

Highs and Lows

Almost every night at dinner we go around the table and have every person announce their highs (highlights)  and lows (bummers) for the day.  Here are Lindsey Smith's highs and lows.

High: Finding all of my kids in bed this morning reading.
Low: Not sifting the flour for my German Pancakes, not adding enough salt, having to eat it anyway based on the principle of avoiding waste.

High:  Doing Hooked on Phonics with Owen.
Low: Trying to get that silly goose to pay attention.  He is at that stage where he tries to be clever and read without looking at the words.  I have explained several times that this is not called reading, just guessing.

High: Meeting friends for cocoa and cakes.
Low: It was supposed to be a chance to visit/teach a friend and she didn't show.

High: I drove straight to the cocoa shop without getting lost. and w/o using the GPS.
Low:  I got crazy lost with downtown construction when I left and it took me 3 times longer then it should have to get to Owen's Christmas Performance.

High: I made it just in time, he sang his heart out, I got it on video, and they served the parents fruitcake and wassail.
Low: Because I was in a rush to get there, I did a very bad job parking and popped a tire on the curb.  No spare tire in the car. Emergency tire replacement can't come until tomorrow, so I am praying that my car will be safe and in one piece tomorrow morning. Please pray with me.

High: The weather was warm enough and Owen was in amazing spirits, so the walk home wasn't miserable.
Low: I had to pee like a racehorse.

High: Coming home to my loving family, Calvin and Annie preparing lessons tonight for FHE (family home evening: http://www.lds.org/topics/family-home-evening?lang=eng ), health, employment, the ability to pray, reading the Book of Mormon, 2 Fish that are still alive,  neighborhood carolers stopping at our door, sleeping children, Christmas songs, Skype, friends, General Conference Ensign, faith.  It's always best to end on a high.

Calvin's lesson: Life without the light of Christ is like trying to find your way in the dark.  It was great.  We went upstairs, turned off most of the lights, had each of us take turns wearing a coat backward with the hood up, Then he spun us several times around. The goal was to find their beds.  I stood guard over the stairs, not wanting the lesson to simulate the potential tragedy that life without our Savior can bring.


Annie wrote out the entire Christmas story and read it out loud to us.  She had to use the toilet so badly, but held fast in her commitment to complete her reading before attending to her necessities.  It was wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Is Scottish wassail the same as the way we had it as kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there were two racehorses in your family today. And both female. I guess it gets the best of us as we age. Poor Annie is starting at an awfully early age.

    ReplyDelete