Monday, January 26, 2015

Someone that could Help

After 6 days and 5 nights at the Huntsman Cancer Center, Ryan was finally able to come home on Sunday.  Time in a hospital can feel like an eternity, and I am so very thankful for a few little miracles that came during our stay: Ryan's operation went smoothly, he woke up after the operation, his parents were there for love and support, neighbors brought in meals, friends babysat, Calvin Smith (my 13 year olds son) stepped up to the plate and chipped in with everything from doing the dishes, to helping his siblings get dressed for church, and Ryan was able to get a Priesthood blessing during his stay.

A couple days after his operation (which was on Tues, the 20th) Ryan had been given the green light on eating a normal diet, a Thursday.  He had been told to walk a bit, drink a lot, and get plenty of rest.  He had done exactly as instructed, and the day brought nausea and painful vomiting (imagine how your stomach muscles tense while throwing up, and what that must feel like after major abdominal surgery.) Not fun. We were told that if things got worse or didn't improve, an option would be to go into surgery again and have a tube put into his intestines to help food move through his system better.  I think it was intended to bring comfort, the knowledge that options were still available, but it sounded like one of the worst case scenarios of how to treat the problem at hand.  After medication, a return to the liquid diet, and a prayer (in reality, we had been praying non-stop for the last few days) we felt like it would be best if he was given a special blessing by someone who holds the Priesthood in our church.  It was late at night.  I walked out into the hospital hall and said yet another prayer, just asking that I be directed towards someone that could help, and if possible, I would appreciate it if the first person that I saw be the helper God was sending to us.  I decided to turn left, and just around the corner was a nurse.  I walked right up to him, briefly explained my situation, and asked him if he was able to give my husband a Priesthood blessing.  Through the grace of God, this man knew what I was talking about, was a member of my faith, and was willing and able to help.  Typically two men participate in a blessing for the sick.  He was able to call on a friend and shortly thereafter Ryan was blessed with peace, comfort, and the promise that he would process his food, that his system would wake up and cooperate, and that God was watching out for him and was aware of his needs. It was beautiful, and it came to pass.  

To all my dear friends and family who have been through similar experiences, I now understand a little bit better what a trial of health can mean, how the prayers of others truly can lift people up, and (sadly) how much company we have when it comes to cancer.  Thank you for your faith on our behalf. I know God lives, that He loves His children, that He hears and answers when we pray.



A slight change in Ryan's diet is that he is supposed to drink lots of fluid, with 1/3 being water, and the other 2/3 being Powerade/ Gatorade. So for breakfast on Sunday morning, he had some scrambled eggs, a bit of banana, a strawberry yogurt... and an artificially blue, large Powerade. Mmmmm.



Ready to leave, happy to go.



I had a midwifes appointment today, and she asked how I was holding up with Ryan's surgery, and baby coming in just a few weeks (I'm just past 33 weeks along.)  I told her I felt lots of love from family and friends and that I had a really great support system, that was making everything so much better than it could be. Just as I got home, I found a package that a friend I've had for almost 30 years had sent me.  In it was a lovely letter and a Baskin Robbins gift card for Ryan. She gave me a cancer necklace, complete with blue gems in honor of colon cancer.  Her amazing sister passed from cancer a few years ago, so this friend truly gets the trial of cancer.  Ryan and I both cried a little at the thoughtfulness of the gift, and at the countless ways people have shown their love and support.  Thank you, dear friend. It's my new favorite piece of jewelry... and I think it makes me look skinny.



My picture isn't great, but the bottom of the circle reads "Hope." I love the word hope.



Not fifteen minutes after putting my necklace on, two dear neighborhood/church friends dropped by with what is probably the biggest care package I have ever seen. The women from my congregation gathered gifts, cards, a bear that sings and dances to "My Guy" by Mary Wells, candy, bubble bath supplies, plants, cozy socks... and love for me.  So naturally, I cried again.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I will never be able to properly express how much this means to me. I will eat the candy quickly, and keep the cards forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment