Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Double Tattoo Scandal

The events of the Big surgery day went as follows: Breakfast with the kids, hanging out, packing for the hospital.  Preston went to play practice (Marry Poppins) and Owen, Annie, Simon and Clavin went to play at the Hunters.  Ryan, his parents and I checked in at the Huntsman Cancer Center at 1:30pm.  Ryan was finally taken back to the OR at 4:30, since his Dr. was tied up a little later than expected in another surgery.  We were told it would take 4 - 6 hours.  For me, that first 1/2 an hour was the hardest.  How grateful I am that my in-laws were with me.  Were weren't constantly chatting or holding hands the entire time, but just knowing that we were all there together, that I wasn't alone was more comforting than words can express. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my kids went home and met their sitter for the night and were met by a delicious dinner that a friend dropped off.

At 10:30pm, the surgeon met with Ryan's parents and me, telling us that everything went well,that Ryan was waking up in the PACU, and that about 10 inches of his colon were no longer with him. The plan was to remove right around the sight of a tattoo that marked where the cancer had been. She explained that surgery took slightly longer than she hoped, due to finding an unexpected second tattoo marking, she titled the event "The Double Tattoo Scandal."  I think that Heavenly Father wanted to make sure that all the bad bits were removed, and just to be sure, he gave the surgeon (and Ryan) a bonus tattoo, making sure that not a cm of colon remained that shouldn't remain.



Waiting Room.



Trying out this ridiculous blanket that fills with warm air.  It's way lamer and else effective then simply using a warm blanket.



Minutes before Ryan, and my heart, get whisked away.



Ryan's dad hung up his Grover in the recovery room.



Tired, patiently waiting for their son to get wheeled in.

**** This post is for January 20th, 20115***
10 days before Ryan's 39th birthday.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I know that's its exhausting to write about everything, but I appreciate the effort. Our family has been constantly concerned for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And through it all Ryan smiles, you got a winner Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete