Sunday, July 13, 2014

Harold Merrell Stander's 94th Birthday Party!!!

What a lovely day of family!  I don't always get to attend church with my parents, my twin and her family, and my sister and brother in law. What a treat.  The day began with walking to church.  The night ended with a huge family gathering, celebrating my grandpa's 94th birthday.  He was born on 7/11, and he sure knows his way around a slurpee. My cup runneth over.


My sister in law, Shelly and I are pregnant at the same time.  See, we're holding our belly's, so it must be true.



We had some special guests at Grandpa's birthday party.  While visiting my grandma's gravesite on Memorial Day, I ran into a woman who told me about how my Grandfather has influenced many generations of her family.  When he was her father's Young Men's leader, he gave him a silver dollar and some words of wisdom as he departed on his mission.  That was over 40 years ago. He took the coin with him, and every missionary in her family ever since has done the same thing. It's a family legacy... a heritage of faith.  This kind woman came to Grandpa's party, along with several of ehr family members, and shared their story.  She also made this lovely cake, with fondant silver dollars fro decoration. It was such a wonderful moment.



I promise, the candles read "94" to him when looking at the cake from the other direction.  According to my mom, there were around 94 guests tonight, which was incredible!



This is Jayne Brown, the other guest of honor, who shared the silver dollar story with me at the cemetery, and then tonight with my family.



Aren't my relations good looking?!



Lots of grandkids in attendance.



My parents with Opa. He is holding a gift that Jane Brown made him with pictures of the missionaries who took the silver dollar on their missions, and the countries where the served. Totally cool!



Me and my Opa.



Q: What does one give a 94 year old man on his birthday?

A: Postum, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, I am a friend of Becky & Cricket. Becky shared your blog link so I could see where Cricket's new adventures will be taking her. You sound like a wonderful family & I will look forward to seeing Cricket enjoying her retirement years with all of you.

    ReplyDelete