Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July

Today there will be fireworks and pancake breakfasts. Many proud Americans will fly Old Glory. Many veterans will reminisce about their personal contributions to this great country. Many families will be filled with pride over the service of their loved ones, and mourn the loss of their fellow countrymen, brave enough that when push came to shove, they sacrificed all to help the United States of America. On this special day, I want to say thank you to all contributing citizens: Thank you to the teachers, the service men and women, the politicians, the PTA/PTO. Thank you to everyone that still believes that America is good and beautiful and has a special part to play and holds a special place in Gods heart.  I love this country, and I love the song "Proud to be an American," because I am.


Thanks to Betsy Ross, the gal who designed and made the first American flag.


"Proud To Be An American"
If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there's pride in every American heart,
and it's time to stand and say:

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.


Our church congregation always has a 4th of July pancake breakfast. Calvin helped with the flag ceremony, and Preston read a little bit about the history of the American flag.



Yes, there was both orange juice and chocolate milk.  You are probably wondering why the table looks so good.  I was in charge of the table decorations: blue table cloths, blue streamers, white and red striped gauze stuff, and red and blue star glitter.  That's how to get it done.



We went camping for the 4th.  That's our tent, and the view was panoramically incredible.



Campfire. Lots of bugs.



Piled into the tent.  We took Cricket with us, and she clearly loves to camp.


1 comment:

  1. Great post it made me teary eyed and then you throw in one of the best American songs....can't sing that with out getting choked up. No better place to celebrate the 4th than in Utah that state oozes with American pride. Wish I could have tasted the pancakes on such a nice table!

    ReplyDelete