Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Can't Dutch This!

I am lucky enough to have some dutch ancestors.  My Grandmother who has since passed was known to have said many a time, "You aint' much if you aint' Dutch." Isn't that charming? Well, naturally, I need to have a little homage to the Dutch in my new kitchen, so today I set out to paint a pair of dutch clogs that Ryan and I found at a thrift store a couple months ago.  They are "pure pumpkin" (as the name on the paint bottle suggests.) They will be book ends for my recipe books. Ryan is simply horrified by them, which tickles me... pure pumpkin.  He thinks the kitchen is already perfect (and it almost is.) I calmly explained that we have "new" and "mid-century modern" down, but we are very low on "kitsch." The Dutch to the rescue!



Owen is honoring his Dutch heritage... and by that I mean that he's painting the shoes orange because his mom asked him to.



Don't they look great?! I have filled them with turquoise glass beads, because Ryan suggested that would make them heavier and would help to keep the books up.  He is insisting that he never had a conversation with me that even resembles in some small way adding glass beads to the shoes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment