Thursday, August 15, 2013

Travel Heck

I do not know what purgatory is like, nor do I want to find out.  But when I imagine where the wicked will receive their justice, I think it is something like eternal exhaustion mixed with endless travel and jet lag. There will be an airport for sure.  We decided to take the cheapest of routes to our stop off in Washington DC, therefore naturally we would fly Edinburgh to Dublin to Boston to Baltimore and then take a 40 minute shuttle bus to our hotel in DC.  We are rethinking our logic this morning as yesterday was not a day to remember.  But, in the true commitment for us to record our lives every day for our children and children's children, here is the day from the pits of despair.

***This post is for the 14th of August and is by Ryan for and in behalf of Lindsey.




2 van taxi cabs to the Edinburgh airport in the wee hours of the morning as the sun is coming up.  25 bags in cumulative - needless to say the cabbies were not entirely enthused with our trip to the airport.  Goodbye great old flat.



Ryan and Preston trying to figure out why it took 30 minutes at checkin, but then we remembered our bags.  Only 11 checked on this leg and the rest we sneaked onto the plane as carry-ons.  Our pocket books are much lighter with the overly restrictive baggage fees in Europe.  We welcome Southwest Airlines again!!!


This is how our children spent most of the day today in airports.  I am truly sorry to all of them.  But I keep telling myself they made memories.


At the gate in Edinburgh.  It invites us to "Haste Ye Back".  Yes, I think we will one day.


Owen in Boston feeling the exhaustion and curling up on the cold concrete floors with a blanket.  If I was 5 years old, I would do the same.  30 minutes earlier a gentleman came up to me to let me know that Owen had been picking gum from under the diner tables in the food court and eating it.  I guess you can learn something from the movie "Elf".


Oh yes, home sweet home.  I must admit, this is my favorite of treats and I understand that we now have one in the Salt Lake area.  Dangerous for my waistline.


Mr. Dunkin offering his finest for the Smith clan.


The worst of the trip was waiting for the shuttle in the late hours of the night - OK it was only 9:00 pm, but of course to us it felt like 2:00 am.  We all woke up this morning at 4:30 am.  I hope we can adjust quickly.

HELLO United States of America!

2 comments:

  1. We are so happy to have you back in the country! Not only do we have a dunkin' donuts in SLC but one just opened in Bountiful. Haven't been there yet but plan to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you might like to know Dunkin'Dinhuts is on 5th South where Iceberg Drive in was.

    ReplyDelete