Thursday, August 29, 2013

Missing Edinburgh

Tonight,  Edinburgh keeps floating in my mind.  Here are a few items that I am missing:

- Tiger Bread.  The cheap french bread style loaf here is rubbish.  It is soft and pillowy and entirely unsubstantial.  It makes me sad to eat it.  Yes, I know how to make french bread, but I sure enjoyed grabbing excellent bread at any Scottish supermarket, and banking on the fact that it would be worth every pence it cost.

- Walking along the canal.  How close it was to our home! How peaceful it was watching the ducks eat the bread that Owen and I used to feed them.

- Renting.  Now, don't get me wrong here, the owner of our flat was politely overbearing, entered a few times while we were home by using her key (crazy!), and added a little bit of nuts to our time in Scotland, but I miss the rental lifestyle of being at peace with all parts of the house. With only suitcases to unpack and being able to call it home.  I miss no pining to paint or repair or refurnish.  It was lovely just living there, without the distractions of being the owner.

- My printer.  I can't find the printer cable that will magically convert that waste of space on my kitchen desk into a thing that homework requires.

- My friends.  Over the year, I made some lovely friends both in the church and mums of my children's friends. Some people I got to know pretty well, while others I just ran short on time and our paths crossed too late for me to fully discover their awesomeness.

- My husband.  Ryan is back in Edinburgh to tie up some loose ends at work, finish out his contract, work on his PHD, etc. I miss him... and tiger bread.



Here is what tiger bread looks like.  I love the name. I love how it looks. I love the taste. It is bril.


No comments:

Post a Comment