Friday, February 1, 2013

Creative Friday

On Fridays at school we are supposed to create a dish, either form a list of ingredients that we are handed the night before, or just on the spot.  We were told that we needed to include mussels.  Ryan has big muscles, but that (and a bouillabaisse hat I made a few weeks back) comprises my entire experience with this ingredient.  I really like to get creative in the kitchen, but I am not a fan of my experiments being judged.  This is just an example that illustrates one of the many ways that cookery school is forcing me to pray, grow, press forward with faith, and learn by trial and error... or trial and success, as was the case today! 4 weeks down!, only 8 more to go!



I decided to whip up some black pepper pasta (the school has a lovely pasta press.) I steamed the mussels in a leek, shallot and thyme sauce. What I love about having a morning of cooking* is that once the dishes are tasted, my creations become my lunch. 
*We have a mix of classes and demonstrations throughout the day.  A few days ago we had a dem on boning a chicken, and we will be doing that for some recipes next week.



This is the focaccia that went with the mussels.  The recipe was specific on this one, so no herbs or olives that would have gone nicely in it. I hope that I haven't gained a stone by the time this cookery school comes to an end!

1 comment: