Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Killing a Crab and Sampling Crazy Stuff

Today was nuts.  We killed crab, prepared squid, made spring rolls, and this afternoons demonstration was titled "Unusual and Tasty" and it totally was.  Today I sampled snails, spanish black pudding, caviar, cod's roe, eel salad, crocodile, wildebeest and kangaroo! What a feast! Most tasted decent, but like a friend in my class,  I left craving a nice slice of chocolate cake.



Killing my very first crab. Lift the apron on the crab. Place you knife steel on the soft spot, then whack it with the rolling pin.  Making that face helps.



The crab before being stabbed.



Still alive, with claws moving around.  I'm trying to figure out where the apron on a crab is located.



My squid. Actually very easy to prepare. Inside is this part that looks like a plastic feather.  It's totally cool.



Look at that tasty plate of calamari. 



Warm bread with snails in a butter garlic sauce. Not bad.



Venison with Golden Beetroot. Fine.



Smoked mussels on cream cheese and toasted baguette slices. Good.



Purple potato slices topped with spanish black pudding topped with soft set quail eggs.



Eel salad with bacon.  Liked the eel, loved the bacon.



Caviar on Blinis with a creme fraiche spread.
Popped in my mouth, gross at first, tolerable by the end of the bite.



Fresh salsa with crocodile.  Yes, it does taste a lot like chicken.



Kangaroo, cooked rare.  It was still jumping when we ate it.



My instructor Jess holding a cow's tongue.  You know it's done when the tongue starts to form blisters...

2 comments:

  1. gag. omg! this would be the part i would not do well with. did you taste the tongue???? what did it taste like?
    LOVED the crab killing face. I promise you that face is a nessicity for the killing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I have tried some of those things previously (and didn't necessary love any of them), looking through this post made my prego belly want to flip inside out. Glad you weren't pregnant when you were eating those things. Hmmm...or were you? hehe

    ReplyDelete