Friday, February 22, 2013

Loudon's Cafe

I had the privilege of doing my work experience day in the bakery at Loudon's Cafe. The location is stellar, just at the end of the canal.   I was up before the cock crows (4:30am) and reported for duty at 5.  Martin is the head bakery chef and we made tons of things today: lemon lime cake, sourdough bread, spelt bread, rolls, croissants, quiche, cookies, pizza, fig tarts and memories. He knew all of the recipes from memory and was entirely pleasant to work with.  I was also especially amiable today.  My favorite part of the day was arriving home in enough time to pick up Owen from nursery, something I haven't done in 7 weeks. Annie also got a gold medal at school today for doing her duty and filling in her sticker charts. Calvin had basketball practice today. Simon stayed home sick, and Preston won the semi-finals of his all school cookery contest, with a ... stacked salad... a secret family recipe...well played Preston.



A display fo the goodies sold at Loudon's, of which I helped make loads of.



FOr one recipe, I got to crack 40 eggs! I love cracking eggs. My kids also squabble over who gets to crack eggs when we are baking at home.



Sourdough bread. Spelt bread. Fresh out of the oven.



Some delicious quiches. I had some of the roasted bell peppers and brie for lunch. 



Martin whipping up some pizza, because he can.

3 comments:

  1. Are you living your dream, or what?! That sounds like great fun. I am so happy you are having this adventure all with people who have Scottish accents, so lucky. I am going to go have my Kraft mac and cheese....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! I hope you got to sample a lot!

    ReplyDelete