Monday, December 1, 2014

Funeral Plans

In the last month I have attended three funerals. Two of them were for men in their 90's, and the other was for a man nearing 60 (which is way too soon, in my opinion, but like most things of this nature, I didn't get a vote.) Anyway, I really enjoy attending funerals because I love hearing about all of the wonderful interesting details of each life.  But what I really love is hearing the positive attributes that each man was known for, his character attributes.  Funerals, if you weren't a total punk, highlight the positive skills you developed during your sojourn on earth.  During the services of these three, I heard words like: hard working, kind, charitable, frugal, honest, Christ-like, devoted, patient, self-less, generous, and thoughtful, to name a few. So, for our Monday night, family night (officially called Family Home Evening by the Mormon church) we came up with one or two attributes we would hope our left behind loved ones could say about us.  The only rule was that if you already firmly possess an attribute, that it couldn't make it on the list (as that would require no work in attempting to develop that skill.) It was interesting to learn what each person put on their list, what attributes they valued, and more specifically what traits they felt were underdeveloped and could use some work.  "Organized" was on my list, and Ryan was trying hard not to laugh.   I suggested he include "supportive" on his list... I didn't really say that, but that's just because it didn't occur to me, not because he didn't deserve a little bit of snark.  Hindsight is 20/20.


This is really about as good as my drawing gets.  My artwork should have also made the list.


1 comment: