Sunday, August 31, 2014

Epic Lesson

Today was a special Relief Society lesson. The Relief Society is the women's organization in our church.  With the agreement of our congregation's primary and young women's leaders, I requested that the men take over their jobs for the day, so that we could all gather and enjoy: chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting (made from scratch), fruit kabobs, an insanely beautiful duet about the parable of the good Samaritan, and a lesson that I taught on "discipleship."  It all went very well, with so many people, especially my councilors chipping in.  I LOVE MY WARD!!!

My favorite quote for the day is:

The daily discipleship to which I’m referring is designed to develop the very attributes which are possessed to perfection by Jesus. These attributes emerge from a consciously chosen way of life, one in which we deny ourselves of all ungodliness and we take up the cross daily—not occasionally, not weekly, not monthly. If we are thus determined, then we are emulating yet another quality of our Lord, of whom we read, “And there is nothing that the Lord thy God shall take in his heart to do but what he will do it” (Abr. 3:17). True disciples are meek but very determined. - Neal A. Maxwell, September Ensign, 1998
It's such a great reminder that our quest for discipleship should be approached the way we would train for a spot on the Olympic team. Daily devotion, hard work, perseverance, faith. Happy Sunday Night!



The cupcakes I made for today, about 100 of them.  The recipe is in my book "Feast."



My ciuncellor put these together as a hand out.  It reads "GO and do thou likewise" and it's attached to a small first aid kit... good Samaritan... clever... awesome!



The table with the goodies: cupcakes and fruit kabobs. Tasty.



I also had my councilor help with the table displays, which is why they looked sooooo good!



After dinner, Preston requested some spud nuts for dessert. They only take three hours to make, so we totally did it. Donuts at 10pm!



The oils temp was perfect because they came out great!



We had two options: cinnamon and sugar  or an orange glaze that Ryan made. Both were amazing. Deep fried bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Who just makes spud nuts for fun?! Oh to be a Smith! Can I have your counselor come down and make a table display for my lessons, man it looked good! I know how good those chocolate cupcakes are.

    ReplyDelete