Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Nurse and the Physician

 A dear friend in my congregation related this story to a group of us a few weeks ago.  As it's Sunday, I wanted to share something entirely inspirational.  I found the quotey and the picture below at a website which sells the painting, by Julie Rogers, of the woman featured in the story. Enjoy. I want to get the picture for Christmas. 
(Here's the link: http://www.tellmystorytoo.com/fine-arts/julie-rogers/the-temple-of-god)

"Amanda Barnes Smith moved with her husband and 5 children from Kirtland, Ohio, to Caldwell County, Missouri, in 1838. They stopped at Haun's Mill to camp on Oct. 30, where a mob with painted faces commenced a brutal massacre a few hours later. Amanda's husband, Warren Smith, and their young son, Sardis, were killed. Another son, 6-year-old Alma, lay close to death, one hip joint being entirely shot away. Amanda wrote:
"Yet was I there all that long, dreadful night, with my dead and wounded, and none but God as our physician and help. ‘Oh, my Heavenly Father,' I cried, ‘what shall I do? Oh, Heavenly Father, direct me what to do!' And then I was directed as by a voice speaking to me. . . . as distinctly as though a physician had been standing by speaking to me."
Amanda continued to pray and was shown exactly what to do to save her young son. The next day she said,
"‘Alma, my child, you believe that the Lord made your hip?' ‘Yes, Mother.' ‘Well, the Lord can make something there in the place of your hip, don't you believe he can, Alma?' ‘Do you think that the Lord can, Mother?' . . . ‘Yes, my son, he has shown it all to me in a vision. . . . the Lord will make you another hip.'"
Alma did grow another hip and was not the least handicapped through his life, living to serve and preside in four foreign missions for over 11 years. During his second mission to Hawaii, he helped save the life of Lorenzo Snow, who would later become the President of the Church. When living in Quincy, Illinois, a few months after the Haun's Mill massacre, a board of doctors in St. Louis heard of Alma Smith's "Mormon Miracle" and sent a team of 5 physicians to investigate. They could not understand how Alma's leg, without any bone in the hip joint, was just as strong and active as the other one. They asked Amanda the name of the surgeon who had performed this wonderful piece of surgery. She replied, "Jesus Christ." One said, "Not the Savior of the World?" Amanda responded, "Yes, the same sir. He was the physician and I was the nurse." 


It's called "The Temple of God."
I love this story and the painting.  

1 comment: