Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Tires Whatever

Instead of having snow tires, I don't.  Instead of parking my car in my garage, it isn't.  When I dropped by a friend's house, it was slightly raining.  When I left her place this evening, it was snowing. Her steep driveway (totally similar to mine) was just too much for my van (yes, it finally left the repair shop this afternoon!) to handle.  There are many things that I love about Utah. The snow is not one of them. Setting aside the fact that I simply prefer warm over cold, it's just so much cheaper to live in a warm climate... say Tucson, AZ for example.  A bathing suit costs ten bucks, and you can wear it all season.  Snow clothes cost way more, and the good gloves alone cost ten bucks (and get lost within the week almost every time.) Add in snow boots, warm jackets, hats, scarves, bibs, etc... and that's just more money than I want to spend on winter.  Maybe heating a home and cooling a home are sixes, but I don't remember ever being "heated in" like being "snowed in." Now to snow tires.  They're like expensive. Not like gloves but like half a grand expensive. Meow, Meow too much money meow (I do the budget and I don't want to budge.) Ryan is an actual grown-up, and tells me to just go buy snow tires. He's right.  He often is.


Snow tires look like this, but there are four of them and they are all attached to a car.

1 comment:

  1. Living on a hill for 22 years, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this subject. You have to look at snow tires as an investment in your sanity. $390 a piece at Burt Brothers. Two on the front will get you around safely - four all around will get you anywhere a 4WD will go. They will last you 7-8 winters if you are faithful in removing them after the last snowflake falls (approx late April - it's Utah after all). Driving in the snow is stressful enough. Get the tires. It will add 5 years to your life.

    ReplyDelete