Wednesday, April 10, 2013

T.V. Free

We are approaching our third week of being virtually tech free.  This means no ipods, computer games, television, and only the occasional movie, like once a week.  Here is the deal.  For the most part, television is garbage, wrapped in immodesty, coated in dis-functional families, with a sprinkling of foul language, and a pint of wasted time. Too many rationalizations are necessary to watch prime time now a days:  That bad part is just a small part of the show, or that character rarely comes on, or that word is only used occasionally... It's like making brownies with poo as an ingredient.  It doesn't matter how little is used.  And choosing to only watch till a show gets bad means that I still end up tasting some poo.  I'm done. I do miss not having to think, as turning on the television for entertainment requires no effort, but that is a pretty lame thing to miss.  What I don't miss is playing the role of the technology referee, having to determine who's turn it is to waste time on any given device. I am confident that not all tech is bad, and that great good can come from it, but the Smiths are on a holiday, and Im planning on an extended stay.  So what the heck is the Smith family doing?  We're playing Uno. Drawing.  Legos. Books. Piano. Park. Creative projects. Spending more time together. Taking one day at a time.  Eating loads of cookies.  Just trying our best.



 Owen and I were out grocery shopping and we found a gonga sale on footballs (soccer balls.)  The days are getting longer, and we hope the weather will get warmer. I spent years outside, television off, kicking the ball around. 


Pancakes, bacon and apples for breakfast.  Owen saved the seeds from the apple he ate.  After school, he went outside into our garden area to plant them.  Capital idea.



Annie getting the watering pail out to help the apple tree along. 



Big brother Preston teaching little brother Owen how to dribble the ball.

 

4 comments:

  1. what a great thing!! we dont ever watch tv. it's soo awful now. it's so great that your doing it. hope your continue your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are TV free too, since Sunday and the occasional Duck Dynasty, hey they end that show with family prayer. I agree poo is everywhere, who needs to step in that, and track it all over the place?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. You'll discover so much extra time that you never knew you had.

    Over 6 years ago I moved to Logan UT where I couldn't get any TV reception. It was hard to detox from TV, but once I got used to it I loved it.

    I was TV free for over 5 years. Then I got a digital converter box thing and I started watching some TV again, but most of it was just a waste of time.

    When my family moved to TX we discovered that we only get 5 channels - and 3 of them are PBS. So I'm back to not watching much TV.

    Movies on the other hand . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have actually been without regular t.v. for a couple of years. The real change that now we are turning off the Netflix and saying goodbye to the computer games and ipods. We still pull up itunes and listen to music, we love to watch the Mormon messages as well. I love it, and the kids are getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete