Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Modern Art in Utrecht, aka "Our Last Hours in Holland"

So, our trip to Holland wasn't 100% just about me and my Dutch heritage.  Holland is also crazy famous for it's architecture and today was Ryan's day.  We checked out of the hotel and headed into the town of Utrecht to visit the Centraal Museum to check out the work of Gerrit Reitveld, a famous early 20th century modernist.  Ryan was in heaven, and it was fun to see him so Utah Jazzed.


Simon approving a table and chair set.


Owen in front of drawer art.



Sitting in a De Stijl chair.  Not entirely uncomfortable.



We were almost late getting on the boat, but we HAD to see the Schroder House before leaving Holland.  It doesn't quite translate in the picture, but Ryan is bursting at the seems with excitement.



Basically, I wanted some sort of sign or nod from my deceased Grandma, who was 100% Dutch, through and through.  No special thought or impression had hit me yet, though, and we were 5 minutes away from saying goodbye to Holland.  Ryan was pumping gas, I ran into the market to get some treats, and as I surveyed my options, I came across these two boxes of chocolate sprinkles.  I don't remember nearly as much about my Oma as I wish I could, but I do remember eating toast, spread with butter, topped with chocolate sprinkles.  Thank you Oma, for sending me an edible hug in the grocery aisle. 

4 comments:

  1. Your family is having some pretty awesome adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you did this!! HOW BLOODY COOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so a nod from Grandma, man I loved that toast! Are those boxes of two different kinds of chocolate? Is toast in the box or is that truly a box full of sprinkles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I look tired in that picture! I'm holding two different kinds of chocolate sprinkles, milk and dark. I will make the toast that they go on when each of you come visit me!

    ReplyDelete