Sunday, April 24, 2016

You deserve...

I spoke today in church to 200+ people (I know because whilst I was sitting on the stand, I took a little headcount.) My topic was the Sabbath day, below is a small portion of my talk. Enjoy, and happy Sunday.

**********

... In prayer and pondering the topic for this talk, some words popped into my mind that seemed odd. The Spirit whispered to me “You deserve a Sabbath.”  Just by way of information, I kind of hate the phrase “You deserve (fill in the blank.) Life isn’t usually fair. Mathew 5: 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Good things can happen to jerks, lousy things can happen to saints, we all fall short of the command to be perfect, or complete. So when something good happens and a pal congratulates me with a “you deserved that.” My usual response is, "I probably actually deserve a kick in the head, but I sure am thankful that this worked out this way."  So when the spirit whispered “You deserve a Sabbath day.” I paused and took note.

If you’ve survived car accidents and heart attacks and food botulism. If you avoided the runaway bus and hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, avalanches, mudslides, tidal waves, falling icicles, poisonous mushrooms, train tracks, house fires, killer sharks, gang fights, lightening bolts, black widows, snake bites, falling bridges, and have managed to remain on this earth for 6 whole days, by the grace of God, then you deserve a Sabbath Day...
Perhaps we can approach our Sabbath day with a victory dance instead of a death march... I think we can begin by replacing TGIF with the phrase TGIS “Thank Goodness it’s Sunday.” We can start by reminding ourselves that we deserve the Sabbath Day.

                                                            ***********




Annie wanted to do a little spa action this afternoon with some face masks we bought at the store a few days ago.  Isn't she lovely?!



Owen is trying his best to look like a total hillbilly for his baptism. Another tooth gone.
The tooth fairy rests on the Sabbath (and doesn't have a dime in her wallet) so she'll be making a visit to Owen tomorrow evening. He's growing up!



This is my handsome tired boy, wearing his space monkey pajamas.
I wish I too owned a pair of Space Monkey pajamas!

2 comments:

  1. Lindsey, you deserve a pair of space monkey pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete