Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Priesthood

Today my son Simon was ordained a Deacon in our church (Mormon) and is now part of a volunteer, covenant keeping army of men who are trying their best to do their duty and help those in need. I know for most Christian churches, the office of Deacon is typically held by only grown up adult men. Not so in our church.  Young men (who so choose and are worthy according to the standards outlined in our religion) are blessed with the opportunity to become priesthood holders/deacons at the age of 12.  Simon wore his three-piece suit today (a gift from his fabulous grandparents) and after a brief visit with his bishop, and after his name was announced at our sacrament meeting for approval, his handsome father (who is a high priest in our church) blessed him with the gift of the priesthood.  It is through this power that the sacrament is blessed and passed, people are baptized and given the gift of the holy ghost, and covenants are made in sacred temples. Pretty exciting stuff. Well done Simon Smith.  Good choices will make you a happy young man. Serving others will show them God's love.

For the record, I do have many questions/concerns about the priesthood as it relates to women, opportunity and eternal progression.  But I choose faith, and I am very happy for my Si-guy today.   I am confidant that his ordination will serve as another spiritual experience that he can add to his growing testimony of faith.


A picture of my clan before church. Simon looking dapper. (Not pictured: Norman who was sleeping in his carseat next to me. I'm taking the photo.  Preston was doing a 12 hour shift at the retirement home where he's a chef... he gets a long great with old people.)



Pictures over. Annie is out of there!



A lovely neighbor called Ryan and said that his wife had informed him that I love their wildflowers growing in their yard. Since the weather is turning anyways, he told Ryan he could come over and pick some flowers for me. Ryan sent the kids on a covert op right after dinner. Aren't they lovely?!



My kids thought it would be more fun to deliver them through their very own delivery service.
I signed for them, so it was all legit. 

1 comment:

  1. Simon we love you! And so wish we could have been there to celebrate your big day! By the way the suit is very snazzy!

    ReplyDelete