Monday, October 26, 2015

The Paperclip

I found myself at a retirement home on Sunday Morning. My children were supposed to sing a duet at the church service that is held there (the same location that Preston works at) but our pianist was crazy sick, and the song was difficult to play and she had made several changes, etc. So I suggested that instead of the duet, the congregation just sing a rest hymn, but for some reason, I was having trouble conveying this message via text. Not wanting to flake out on a commitment that my kids made, but also knowing that they couldn't perform what they had planned, I decided to fill in for them.  I couldn't find a brush, had no time for make-up, and my dress was crazy low-cut and needed a safety pin, but all I could find was a paperclip... yes, you read that right, a paperclip.  Preston was actually working at the retirement home so I was able to drag him away to sing "How Great Thou Art." It went about as good as I looked, which wasn't half bad given that we didn't practice even once, and sang it for the first time in front of the elderly congregation.  Long story, lame story, and at the heart of it: what kind of mom can't find a safety pin in her home... or a brush?!


Boo.  


***This post is for Sunday, October 25th, 2015***

No comments:

Post a Comment