Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Lindsey's LEMONade

So, I've decided that the title of my blog is actually a lie.  If you haven't read my intro in a while, here it is:

"Lemonade is easy to make, it only requires three ingredients: Water, Sugar and Lemons. I knew that if I started a personal blog, I would be forced to write about food, as it's my passion. I would also write about everyday things (water), events that were totally awesome (sugar), and occasionally I would vent and rant about frustrations, irritations and things that could only be described as terrible, horrible, no-good very bad and sour (lemons.) Thus Lindsey's Lemonade was born. Drink it up."


I do blog about boring things. I do write about some of the good stuff that happens to the Smith clan. But the bad stuff? The "terrible, horrible, no-good very bad and sour"... no. Seriously, no. And why no? For so many reasons: my sad story of frustration might involve a close loved one (child, spouse, sibling) and I wouldn't want to hurt them. Or it might be an incident that involves me at my best, but someone else at their worst, or that scenario in reverse... So friends, as a gift to you, Lindsey's lemonade is not made of real lemons. You won't read about the call from the principal, the office visit to the psych, the attempt at new meds to regulate adhd, ocd, anxiety in one (or more) of my family members. You're not going to get my story of the kid who keeps picking on my son, of the party invites that my children don't receive, of the challenges and heart brakes of raising 6 children whom I am constantly feeling inadequate to parent, of the glass house I feel like I live in sometimes because of my church assignment...  I've heard it said that the easiest problems are the ones that can be shared publicly.  The Smiths do have bigger issues a foot than my lost USB charger, but for grace and dignity and tact and privacy, I don't write about much of that messy stuff. Most personal blogs roll like this.  The top 1% of amazing is tucked away, so as to not brag. The 10% of average good is shared.  The 70% of boring normal rarely makes the cut. The remaining 19% of crap-ola is just not meant to be seen by the public, but know that it exists. 

So, Q: why did I start my blog? A: We were moving to Scotland for my husband's sabbatical year. I knew that things would be foreign and exciting to me (It was actually a tale of two cities: literally the best of times and the worst of times... but I didn't blog about that 19%;~)  I wanted to have a way to connect with family and dear friends even with an 8 hour time difference, to know what was going on, and I wanted to remember those days.   I blogged almost daily the entire year we were gone. When we returned, our parents told us how much they enjoyed reading about the kids and seeing pictures.  They requested I continue. Ryan printed up the entire years blog for a coffee table book, Smith family history.  It's literally a recording of what's going on in our lives.  So I include pictures.  Pictures of broken legs and missing teeth and notes and cakes and parties and trees that have been cut down. Its my family history. I know that to some this might seem obnoxious. That it might come off as showing off or boastful, but I think that by definition, a personal blog is highlighting the really good 10%. It's not dishonest, just not a complete picture. To those who find my blog vexing,  you are under absolutely no obligation to check it out. Avoid it if it annoys.

So to the friend who dropped off the anonymous letter today (and unbeknownst to me, anyone else who feels similarly), I want to say I'm sorry that my blog sometimes makes you sad or feel left out, which is never my intention. But my blog is about sharing my family happenings with my out of town relatives, and recording the events of our lives.  If it were up to me... and my house were a mansion and my wallet had never ending funds, and I was super organized and always cheerful, and there were 26 hours in my day... everyone would be invited to my everything. In fact, I started our neighborhood cooking group almost 8 years ago with one rule in mind: every woman in our neighborhood is welcome to come.   My kids are always game for a playdate, so please just swing on by. I love a girls night out and would willingly plan one with you. Party throwing can be tricky, and I rarely get to invite everyone that I consider a friend.  I am a party animal because I do not live close to siblings, in-laws, my parents.  I also don't think I've ever turned down an invite to lunch. And with your note being anonymous (and me not being bright enough to figure out who sent it) I can't personally invite you to Cafe Rio, but I would! I would invite you in a heart beat if I could.



Owen's first night in scouts. He got his Bobcat, and I got a Pin!




Owen's car was the second one from the top. Not the fastest car there, but it sure looked great!



I volunteered at the school today.  Annie refused to look at me, so I started dancing on my way out of the classroom. She secretly loved it... or not.



My twin asked me to try on my wedding dress, just to see if it still fits. 
I can't breath in this picture. It zipped up, but I couldn't breath.
In fact, just looking at this picture makes me think of what it felt like without oxygen flowing through my body. I now can appreciate the look on a woman when a corset is being tied...
But I could still zip it up!



1 comment:

  1. Oh man, KNOWING you, I know that one of your biggest personality traits is being inclusive! I so wish whoever felt left out would have just said hey Lindsey I want to come, invite me. Because you would have with a huge smile. And you would have meant it. Being that family member who lives far away, thank you for keeping me updated. It's my kids who love reading your blog most of all, they love to know what their cousins are up to! Isn't it great that in days of social media if you read someones posts who make you sad, frustrated, or left out you can choose to unfollow, and they don't even know it (I've done this very thing myself). Don's stop blogging. And by the way the dress looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete