Monday, July 15, 2013

Coriander

Dinner for tonight was Pulled pork tacos and burritos.  I simply love pork and am a great fan of Mexican food.  In particular, cilantro.  When we first got to Edinburgh, among many grocery surprises I discovered that the selection in the Mexican food aisle was very much lacking, and I was simply shocked to find that I couldn't find cilantro anywhere.  How was I supposed to make Amy Engar's famous fish tacos (found in my book FEAST)?  After making some inquiries, I was informed that cilantro is called coriander here in the UK.  This little miracle meant that I could still make delicious salsa, enchiladas and cilantro lime rice.  I testify that a cilantro, by any other name, does taste just as delicious.  


As a child I used to hate the flavor of cilantro... but I also really liked jumping on a trampoline.  Now I recognize the tramp for the headache maker that it is, and am extremely grateful for the herb cilantro (or coriander, depending on what country I'm in.

1 comment:

  1. So interesting! I've always thought of coriander as the dried seed from the cilantro plant.

    ReplyDelete