Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Days for Girls

Tonight was totally rad. The Relief Society (the name for the women's group in my church) got together with the young women teens in our church and we participated in this fabulous service project: making pads for periods that will be donated to girls/women in Africa.  It's a well known fact that I believe the #1 reason I was born during the latter half of the 20th century was because I would not be able to manage without our current modern feminine hygiene products.  Well, lucky Lindsey for living where I live, bc other places on this globe, girls don't get to go to school when they have their periods. Which means they don't get to learn. Which means they don't pass their classes. Which means their futures options and possibilities are diminished, all because they didn't have pads. Personally, I'm all about the tampon, but I digress. It was so lovely to participate with 70+ ladies, helping other ladies on the other side of the world. Girl power indeed.


Why is the group called "Days for Girls"? Because with period supplies, they get back the days that were once lost.



Loads of women. Everyone had something to do.



Tracing out patterns.



Assembling fabric.



This was the woman behind the magic. She is not in our local congregation, but she brought all of the supplies, explained the mission of the group, and inspired me to be grateful and look for ways to help others.



Measuring and cutting.



Ironing.



Smiling.



These look familiar? Lost your scissors?
I've got them at the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment