Monday, May 13, 2013

When Dad Is Not Home

I am not home most of the day.  So when I get home the question is, "how was your day?".  I get to hear about something that happened at school or some complaint about one of their siblings.  But what I do not get are the everyday humorous things that my children think, say and do.  This is the privilege of Lindsey Joy.  What I have grown accustomed to is reviewing my wife's phone for photos she took throughout the day to capture these idiosyncrasies.  It teaches me about each of my children a bit more, increases my appreciation and love for my wife, and gives me something to then talk with the kids about around the dinner table and at bedtime.  Today's funnies from the mouth and actions of babes:

  

Owen the robot.  He made a wand out of foil that got larger and became a knife and now it is a full fledged sword.

When nobody is looking, Annie and Owen slide down the banisters on the switch back stair in the house.  I would have too at that age.


Calvin thoroughly enjoying his "real" bubble gum sent to the kids by their Aunt Crystal and Uncle Troy who recently visited.

To another topic, tonight Calvin and Preston prepared Family Home Evening.  Cavin's portion was on making righteous choices that lead us toward heaven and bad choices that lead us to the Devil.  Very straight forward, cut and dry, just as cal likes his food - no spice or sweet, just good meat.


Good on the left and bad on the right.  


Preston taught us about manners.  One of those we reviewed is setting the table.  Mom often asks the kids to do this and rarely is it done, or when done, not done well.  Owen was proud as punch to set the table by himself tonight for dessert.


Annie wrote a song and a testimony - both of which were performed this evening.  Preston's lesson taught us to have manners for those who sing or put themselves out there and take a risk publicly.


That is how good dessert was - a tres leches cake from a good friend in the ward, Silvia Stevensen.


Cal learning from the best.


Simon learning from the rest.

3 comments: