Sunday, October 14, 2012

There's Sunshine in my Soul...

But not really.  We actually sang this song "There's Sunshine in My Soul" twice today, once in Relief Society and then later in sacrament meeting.  I smiled when I caught the Bishop glancing out the window during the song, watching the steady stream of cold rain drizzle outside.   As outgoing as I am, I really dislike that very first day of church in a new ward where you don't know anyone.  As it turns out, my children increased the primary by 60%.  Next week is the Primary Program in church, and the 19-year old Primary President was truly thrilled to meet and greet our silly kids.  They loved it!  There were about 40 sisters in Relief Society, and Preston is one of 5 young men.

A lovely family by the last name of Holm (all the way from Lehi, UT!) invited us over for dinner.  It was a wonderful break from our smallish quarters and nice to chat with others who are also randomly taking on an adventure of living here in Edinburgh for the year. Spaghetti, the really yummy olives, and delicious bread with butter, pretzels filled with peanut butter, and a tin of cookies.

Owen and I in front of our new Church meeting house, the same building where my father attended church as a missionary nearly 40 years ago! I am in a real wool Scottish kilt that my friend Amy Hunter gave me just before I left Bountiful (a thrift store find, indeed!)

In all honesty, I simply had a sad day due to some horrible news I received last night.  My dear cousin had a tragedy in her family and her little 17 month old passed away.  My heart aches for her and for her family.  They were able to donate his organs which means she is now the mother of a Hero.  But as I went to bed last night, sobbing, I felt very far away from home... and then I remembered my blanket.  My wonderful friends in Bountiful sent me off to Scotland with a blanket, knowing that it would be cold here and that occasionally I would feel lonely and would want a hug from them.  I am clearly not too old for a blanket, as I did feel cozy and loved.  Owen calls his blanket his "Woobie" but I shall call mine my "ICBB," as in my Iron Chef Bountiful Blanket. Maybe there is a little sunshine in my soul...

My ICBB given to me by the best of friends to help me feel cozy and loved. It works.

4 comments:

  1. I want a sweet blanket to give me a hug. By the way Robin and I take issue with you saying you had a bad haircut and dye job ;) I think you look pretty svelt in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very fact that I needed my twin and sister in law to re-cut my hair after the incident of the Cost Cutters means that by definition, I had a bad haircut! You two, however, did a wonderful patch job! As for the color, it's growing on me. I only wish we lived closer to play salon more often!

      Delete
  2. Lindsey- So sorry for your family's loss. My heart goes out to you. As a mother of a organ donor recipient I hope they can find some comfort in knowing that they have truly performed a miracle for countless other children. I can't imagine the loss you and your family feel, love you and hope comfort finds its way soon.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually sent her a private email, and basically told her about you and George, and what a blessing organ donation had been to your family. I remember very well when you spoke in sacrament about your whole ordeal with needing a transplant. I knew that she would find comfort in knowing that her son had now become a hero forever. It's a situation no mother should ever be in, but I know that her choice to donate will always bring her, and many others blessings. Hope you are doing well!

      Delete