Monday, October 22, 2012

Not the smoke detector... Again!

On the Eve, Eve of our moving day into our official residence for the next 11 months, I wanted to post about our current, temporary living conditions.  We have stayed in a flat off of Slateford and Robertson, on the second story of a four story building.  A key is needed to get into the stairwell, and we have 2 keys to get into our flat.  It has a "quant" (small and cozy) family room with a table that seats 6. As there are 7 in our family, the last person to the table seats on the couch. There are three bedrooms, with a king size bed where Annie, Owen and Simon sleep.  There is a queen size bed which Preston and Calvin share. Ryan and I have the last bedroom with a king size bed and an adjoining shower and sink (no toilet though.)  The kitchen has been rather small.  I was making some baked potato wedges today for lunch, to be eaten with ketchup or chili and cheese.   I opened the oven door, and a puff of steam (not smoke!) caused the smoke detector to sound.  Those things are sooo loud, especially in a confined space!  Preston and I fanatically fanned the detector for what felt like forever, and luckily it went off before... the truth is, I'm not sure what could have happened. If the system were building wide, I bet the fire dept would be called in, and everyone evacuated! Mercy, that would have been a real nightmare.  Lunch was fine, but not worth the alarm. The kitchen also comes without a dishwasher, we have hand washed every dish that we have used, and broken only one glass.  The washing machine has only seen two loads, as I am simply waiting to get to our permanent home to do some loads with a dryer.  This 1000 sqft accommodation  has fit our needs well.  

The scene of the crime!
Q: What was I making when the smoke detector went off the first time?
A: Frying up some chicken for a bacon, chicken, cream sauce to go with green beans, and potatoes.
 It was good.

The kitchen, in all it's glory.  It's about 5 X 7. I'm 5' and 2".

The bathroom has heated floors.  How will I ever go back to cold tile?!?

I am very amused by this.  The top dial on the shower lets you pick your water pressure: low, medium or high.  The dial below has you set your perfect shower temp, as in when you come back 
for your next shower it's right there!  Below is the on/off button.  
When you know how to use them, foreign gadgets are fun!

1 comment:

  1. Heated tile is such a luxury. I'm loving your post. I hope the move is uneventful.

    ReplyDelete