Thursday, October 18, 2012

King Arthur's Seat

Ryan had some work to do so I decided to venture out with the kids and finally do something touristy.  I randomly decided to take the kids on a walk to see what was described as an extinct volcano, titled King Arthur's Seat.  To be honest, I pictured the volcano in Midway at the Homestead (it takes like five minutes to walk up to the top, and you get to peer down into a giant hole, pretty exciting stuff.) OUr new sat nav (GPS) doesn't accommodate for construction, so I got a little lost and pulled to the side of the road to ask a woman, where I was going.  She started to giggle a little and told me it was about 100 feet away, to the right of me, just behind the building.  When I rounded the corner, I saw a giant towering mountain, right in the middle of the city.  As we were already there, and it was just a light drizzle, we decided to give it a go.  It was like hiking 2 Ensign Peaks, with mini waterfalls over the stones.  I think Owen clearly worked the hardest to reach the top, as his legs are short and his feet are small. Incidentally, I was informed that Mormons commonly refer to this Mountain as "Prat's Hill."  When Parley P. Pratt (a well known LDS apostle in the early days of the church) was in Edinburgh serving a mission, he was struggling to find success.  He climbed the hill and promised to work as hard as he could, and prayed for 200 baptisms before he left his mission.  He would go up the hill monthly.  When it came time to depart, he had indeed introduced and helped to convert 200 baptisms.  Goodness knows, I did a lot of praying on the hill today... that no one would break their legs, or fall off any cliffs, or that the heavens wouldn't decide to really open up their faucets... Preston did slip on the way back down... but he insisted I take a picture of him, so we know he's just fine.

Us at the bottom of the hill we are about to climb.

Me at the top of King Arthur's Seat (I don't know why it's called that. I should look that up.)

Ruins of a church on the way up to the top.  Owen is being a weirdo in the doorway.

All the kids in the doorway Owen was standing in.

Th back of Preston after he slipped in the mud.

Preston having a good attitude about slipping in the mud.


1 comment:

  1. Pratts hill are you kidding me, how awesome to be surrounded with so much history. I bet you all went home to your castle and had some hot chocolate, didn't you?!

    ReplyDelete