Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tea and Cakes...

How lucky I am to have a downstairs neighbor named Ann that knows how to make delicious fruit cake (I seriously don't get the bad rep this delicacy has) and cheddar cheese scones that she spread with soft cheese (a.k.a. cream cheese.) It was wonderful.  I was invited this morning to have tea and cakes with her, which was an opportunity I could not pass up.  As I am Mormon and don't drink "tea" with "tea" in it, but am willing to drink warm fruited beverage,  I stewed momentarily about how to politely ask if I could read her tea box label to check on the ingredients.  In answer to a prayer, I decided it would just be easier to bring my own Lindsey approved "tea" bags.  In all honesty, I felt like such a weirdo pulling this tea bag out of my pocket... I probably should have put it into a ziplock and had it in my purse... but she didn't seem to care.  Her late husband (Ann is a senior citizen) used to do some work in Utah, and so she was somewhat familiar with our beliefs, tea included. She never offered me sugar and I didn't want to be the stereotypical Amercian who needs more sugar, so I just sipped my somewhat bitter tea and politely scarfed down two slices of the fruit cake and two cheese scones.    We chatted for about an hour and I gave her a copy of my book "FEAST." I hope that she will read it and will want to attend church with me (which is kitty corner from our home) and then take the missionary discussions (with the mission home directly across the street.) If, however, she never ever has an interest in the Mormon faith, I will still always consider her a friend due to pleasant conversation, delicious treats, and her kindness to me when I still feel so very out of place.

This is what the fruit cake looked like.  She used herbal tea (not the typical brandy) and it was crazy moist and delicious, and made entirely without any fats (butter, oil, lard, shortening.) I will crave it until I get the recipe and can make it for the world.

***Secondary School Update:  Preston filled the very last spot, #200, available at the school in our catchment for his grade, S2. Yet another answer to prayers! He starts at Boroughmuir on Monday and will wear a tie and white church shirt, black trousers and black leather shoes (blazer optional) every school day for a year.  I like to think of this as missionary dress code practice time. 

6 comments:

  1. No fats! how is that possible? She sounds delightful. I love the dress code idea, if you dress like a professional than certainly you must act like a professional. That is why I reserve my sweat pants for only really bad days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't know how the bread stayed so moist. It was incredible. Ain't it the truth about acting the part of how you dress. That's why I like to walk around the house wearing a bathing suit and heals, on days when I am feeling especially unattractive. When it's really bad I will take a long strip of paper and write "Mrs. Utah" and drape it over me like a sash.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lindsey- I have loved reading your blog and your adventures! My kids were so surprised to learn I had cousins like they do, which just goes to show we haven't been great at keeping in touch. That said, my daughter and her class are trying to get post cards from people all over the world this year and she was wondering if you could send her one from Scotland. Our address is 184 West 1580 North Lehi, Ut 84043. If you have a second to drop one off for her she would LOVE it! Her name is Emma. Good luck in your adventure. I will be following your blog to see all the excitement to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see Preston's uniform. And adventure indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I will be honest. I teared up a bit when I read your comment " I still feel so very out of place." The thought of my dear and very social friend Lindsey Joy Smith feeling out of place and at a loss for friends made me a bit emotional. I love you, dear friend! Hang in there and enjoy these moments. You will be back in a short time and we can have excellent parties again. :)

    ReplyDelete