Friday, October 19, 2012

Lothian Bus to Greyfriars Bobby

Annie Joy Smith has been begging ever since we got off the plane to ride around in a double decker bus. Today, finally, her wish was granted.  The dealio with the bus situation is this: public transportation womps.  Here's why: you have to have change (coinage) on you, the bus drivers don't announce their stops so if you don't know where you are then you get to beg for assistance from the bus driver or strangers, you can't come and go whenever you want, and with a family of my size, today it cost 10 pounds to ride, versus the 1-5 it would have cost me to park. Let me be even less PC.  Public transport rocks if you can't afford any better, are overly concerned with your carbon footprint, are single or the mother of 2 or less well behaved children, or if you know the city like the back of your hand.  I love my suburban, car driving, Bountiful Utah life!  Who knew my first rant would be about the bus? Throw in some rain, a few children tripping, the typical squabbling of juveniles, and you get today, which was... today. They can't all be winners, right? On a final note, several of the kids prayed with gratitude that they could ride a double decker bus, so hopefully my stinky attitude didn't ruin their fun.

A classic phone booth shot taken in downtown Edinburgh.  It smelled of elephants. 

Annie, Owen and me in the doll collection room at the "Museum of Childhood." 
What a name for a museum.

The fam in front of a statue of Greyfriars Bobby.  It is the world famous skye terrier of Edinburgh who was so loyal to his deceased master (John Gray) that he slept on his grave for the remaining 14 years of his life, rain or..rain.  The city eventually bought him tags and gave him legal free reign.  
What a loyal dog!

The story.

5 comments:

  1. We didn't like the museum of childhood. Kind of a let down didn't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that dog statue looks like Luke. The smell of elephants, I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's something I've always wanted to see! Lucky!

    ReplyDelete