Monday, October 15, 2012

Full of Hot Air

I finally caved and did some laundry today.  I have been dreading doing it for a few reasons:

1.  Laundry isn't my favorite on the list of chores
2.  The washer in the flat holds 1/2 of what is considered an extra large load at home, of which I was doing about 10 a week.
3.  Lastly, and craziest of all... there is no dryer. For real.

Preston decided that his jeans needed to be washed a few days ago, and it took them, literally, 3 days to dry.  So I have asked a few locals and church friends, Ryan's colleagues the million dollar question "How do you deal with the laundry drying situation over here?" Each and every time, I have been met with a blank stare and am assured that it's just not that big a deal.  I can only take this apathy to mean that...holy cow...people here must be just fine in a never-ending state of damp.  Let's take a moment of silence together....As we continue our hunt for a home, right at the top of the list is a dryer (available in about 10% of the flats listed.) I didn't even know that this basic necessity would turn into a privilege and luxury when I crossed the pond!
My laundry load drying on a broken drying rack (it's supposed to stand up on four feet.)  And I just needed more space, thus the iron standing up. Mercy.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks and sounds miserable! I can't imagine doing laundry for 7 people with no dryer. I guess I shouldn't complain about my own pile of laundry I had to tackle today.

    I'm so glad you're giving us these updates, it's nice to be able to picture you in your new place and here about what you're up to. Good luck in the house hunt and congrats on getting a phone. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon (a totally vague and optimistic term) we will have the housing situation worked out, and i really am going to be a stickler on the dryer. As for the cell phones, we need to "top-up" which means add more minutes to our phones so that we can make out going calls. However this can only be done with an English debit card, as it contains different security codes, etc, and the debit can only be obtained with a UK bank account, which we can't get until we have an address. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend getting string and running it from your blinds to your front door. That is what we did in most of our flats. Fans and heaters help speed things up. The crunch of naturally dried clothes... its so organic and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While we were in England, we had the same problem. The great thing about the houses there is that most come with radiators instead of central heat. Just place your clothes on the radiators to dry. It is great when it gets really cold-mittens and over-trousers warm right up in an hour or so and are ready to go back outside quickly!

    ReplyDelete