Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Valentines Day Trial

If I had a $1 for every time I ended up assisting one of my dear children with their valentines, I wouldn't be rich... but those dollars would represent some frustration with how most schools handle their Valentine party. When I was wee, the rule to give all of your classmates was still in effect, but you were able to label each card with names. SO you could give a silly card to a friend, a "Be Mine" to someone that you liked... a boy gave me a necklace in my card in 5th grade... these cards meant something! Now, you still give out valentines to everyone, but you don't write names on the envelopes. What's the point?! If this is the direction this romantic holiday is taking in our elementary schools (which isn't necessarily the worst thing ever) then I'm now a super huge fan of how Annie's 4th grade class did it.  Everyone brought one wrapped gift, worth $3-$5, and they played some games and did a gift exchange. Brilliant.  The kids didn't need to make Valentines boxes for their valentines.  Some self starters probably like making boxes, having a vision in mind. But this Friday morning, party day arrives and my Simon hasn't done his valentines or his box, and is finishing up homework.  I had him quickly write his name 30 times, then I taped the gum and stickers, and whilst he finished up an assignment, I cranked out a pretty great valentine box, with no box plan beforehand, and in about 3 minutes. Parenting under pressure! Happy weekend of romance!



A pretty great last minute valentine box, and a happy sixth grader.



Another performance tonight!



Loads of family came to support the troops. Thanks everyone!



The final bow!



Part of the Tin man's face costume bit fell off during a scene. He handled it like an ad-lib pro.



We wanted to do an epic card for Preston's performance.  I bought the supplies; my dad wrote the card. So awesome. It's fabulous to have my parents here.



After the show.



Lots of hugs.



Cousins! This little lady has been to loads of Preston's performances.
What a sweetie!

***This post is for Friday, February 12th, 2016***

1 comment:

  1. Man I feeling the love, look at all the family that came out!! So wish I was there too! I bet he just killed it!

    ReplyDelete