Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Dad's Eyes

My three elementary school age kids had eye appointments today.  Everyone enjoyed their time in the chair, got the chance to say "better" or "worse" and chose "A" or "B."  Their are are all collectively healthy, and all three still have 20/20 vision.  Victory!  When I was just five years old, just started kindergarten, I had my very first eye exam (at least the first one that I ever remember having.) I failed.  And went to the eye doctor where he used the word "retarded" to describe my vision, as in it was "delayed, hindered, hampered." I remember thinking that he was calling me stupid... and my sweet mother (who unfortunately wasn't a mind reader) just sat there agreeing (clearly knowing what the doctor was actaully explaining, and having no idea that I thought he was calling my dumb.) I barely remember anything from my childhood, but this memory is insanely clear.  That wasn't the only thing that was clear. Once my glasses came in, I could see leaves on trees and patterns in carpet. What a blessing glasses have been to my life, and I hope my children can avoid that kind of a blessing for several more years.


All eyes were dilated, so they got to wear these totally cool sun glasses home.
Lookin good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment