Sunday, June 28, 2015

Rockets and Bombs

In church today we sang all four verses of the American National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner. I've always loved this song, especially since I can hit the high note. However, in church today, as I sang through the very first verse something struck me.  First, here is a little bit of background. The song was written by Francis Scott key in 1814.  It describes how the American Flag could be seen flying all through the night of an attack, thus proving that they hadn't surrendered or been defeated. Anyways, I'm in church singing, and a particular part spoke to my heart. It's the line:

...And the Rockets Red Glare, 
the Bombs bursting in air,
gave proof through the night
that our flag was still there...

And I thought how interesting it was that in the middle of the night, it wasn't the gentle spotlight shining on the flag that let people know that they were still in the game... it was the light from rockets and bombs. Bad stuff. Hard stuff. Dangerous stuff.  And in my own life, its the rockets and bombs (trials) that really help me to see if my flag (conviction of Christ/testimony of the gospel) is still flying.  This might have already occurred to many of you, but it was a new insight to me today.  As we Americans start this week, looking forward to our longer 4th of July (Independence Day) weekend, I like the idea of contemplating the belief in God that our nation was founded on.  I thank our founding mothers and fathers, and will strive to hold on in the darkness of the night, knowing that as long as my flag is still flying, and I'm trying my best, the daylight will break.  "In God We Trust."


I would love to see more American currency with women on it..  

1 comment:

  1. Dang you got me all teary eyed over this. Great analogy. What woman would you put on our currency?

    ReplyDelete